Facial hair is an important part of a unique look for men all over the world. With many styles and variations to be done with facial hair, it can make a man stand out in a crowd. Whether it is a smooth, clean-shaven look or a long and full beard, a good razor is a must. The Braun Series 5 electric razor is a product up for the job.
In this article, we will look at the Braun Series 5 as well as compare it to some of its top competitors. We will review and compare these shavers based on price, ease of use, battery, design quality, warranty, and a list of pros and cons. After looking into each of these competitors through the different categories, we will come to a conclusion on if the Braun Series Five really is a top choice electric shaver.
What Is the Braun Series 5?
The Braun Series 5 is a beautifully designed electric razor with many great and useful features. It is a foil razor, meaning it works by moving its blades in a back-and-forth motion rather than a circular motion like an oscillating razor would do.
Like most razors, the Braun Series Five works best on hairs that are ⅛ of an inch long and is comfortable enough to be used for daily shaving.
This razor uses an active lift in its center to lift up and trim flat lying hairs, as well as two crosshair foil guards on each of its sides to shave close to the skin. Its shaving head flexes from side to side to ease the process of shaving the contours of the face. The flexible head helps to prevent painful razor burn if too much pressure is accidentally applied during a shave.
This unit also comes with five different positions and the ability to tilt itself back and forth, making even the most difficult of shaving jobs possible when it is used as the tool of choice. It can even be used while not moving back and forth for extra tricky areas such as the upper lip.
The Braun Series 5 has many great features, starting with its outer design. The razor handle is covered with a rubber grip, so even if the user is using wet hands or is slightly clumsy after just waking up in the morning, it is easy to hold on to. It also has a convenient travel lock on its outside design, so if the razor is packed into a tight travel bag and bumped around it will never accidentally turn on.
The back of the razor handle contains what is called a pop-up trimmer. This trimmer slides upward when in use and can be used for shaving jobs in difficult to reach areas or for precise detailing on the face.
The Braun Series 5 can be purchased for around $$.
How It Compares
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
Braun Series 5
- AutoSensing Motor - Reads your beard and constantly adapts to its density for an efficient and comfortable shave, even on dense beards
- 8 Direction Comfort Head - A flexible shaving head adapts in 8 directions for constant skin contact, even in difficult areas
- MicroMotion - Individual suspension of all cutting elements even responds to the smallest contours
- MacroMotion - The pivoting shaver head effortlessly navigates along larger contours for maximum skin contact
- 2 SensoFoil Blades - Braun shaving foils have 899 unique apertures, that shave as close as 0.058mm and perfectly protect your skin for lasting smoothness
This razor is sold at a middle price when compared to its competitors. It can be found for around $$.
Ease of Use:
This razor is very simple to use. From its easy on/off button to its many movements that help shave close to the skin around the contours of the face while preventing razor burn. It is not something that requires a complete user manual read-through to operate. It can simply be picked up and used to its best ability.
As mentioned previously in this article, the Braun Series Five is a beautifully designed and easy to use electric razor. It is a foil razor that has many unique features to set it apart from its competitors. It is capable of completing any facial hair job, from simple and comfortable daily shaving to detailed and complex facial hair designs.
The battery in the Braun Series 5 is a powerful, lithium-ion battery. It takes one hour to charge and can then be used for approximately 45 minutes of straight shave time. It is easily charged with charging studs from its charger cable or from its cleaning station.
The razor has 5 light bars displayed on its outer side to show how much battery remains at all times. Each bar stands for 20% battery life remaining. When the battery gets below 20%, the last light bar begins to blink in order to remind the user to charge the razor soon.
The Design of this razor is beautiful to look at and simple to use. Its features are presented in an easy-to-understand way. Its rubber grip keeps safety and success of the job in mind. Its blade design helps create clean and comfortable shaves every time.
The Braun company has warranty centers in many countries around the world that will accept the product for warranty repair for as long as the product is being sold on shelves. The Braun website also has a customer support phone number and online chat option to help with any questions or concerns a customer may have with regards to their product.
Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700
- Each shaving head moves in 8 directions for an extremely close result
- The wet or dry electric shave system captures each hair regardless of its length from 1 day up to 3 day stubble
- Choose the speed setting that best fits your skin and hair type: Slow (skin-friendly shave), Medium ( thorough shave), and Fast (high-powered shave)
- The digital interface automatically lights up and showing: battery level, cleaning indicator, battery low indicator, replacement head indicator, and travel lock indicator
- The SmartClean System allows for easy maintenance: cleans, lubricates, dries, and charges your shaver.
The Phillips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700 is a high-end product that is unique in the way that it meets contour needs; its blades can move in eight different directions. With this feature, safety is improved and razor burn and facial nicks should never be an issue. It is a three head oscillating shaver, meaning it cuts in circular motions. Lastly, it comes with the option to add different attachments like trimmers and facial brushes. With these features, this shaver is a safe and versatile option to complete shaving needs.
This shaver is significantly more expensive than its competitors as it is found at around $$.
Ease of Use:
The Phillips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700 is simple and safe to use with its unique eight direction blade movement technique. It comes with a built-in trimmer, and with its options for different attachments, can be used for many facial hair tasks.
The battery of this shaver is nicely displayed with an indicator on a large display screen.
The design of this shaver is beautifully done and extremely useful. It comes with what it needs and is built in an attractive manner.
The Phillips Norelco Electric Shaver 9700 automatically comes with a full two-year warranty.
Panasonic Electric Shaver and Trimmer for Men
- Sharp Men's Shaver Blades: Panasonic Arc5 men's electric shaver with five ultra sharp precision honed 30° Nanotech blades and ultra thin Arc foil follow facial contours for a quick, close and comfortable shave
- Wet/Dry Electric Shaver and Trimmer 2 in 1: Built in pop up trimmer details mustaches, beards and sideburns; Wet/dry waterproof shaver allows for convenient shaving in or out of the shower
- Multi Flex Pivoting Head: Panasonic flexible pivoting electric shaver head glides effortlessly to trace the individual contours of face, chin, neck and jaw; Built in shaving sensor monitors differences in beard density and automatically adjusts cutting power for exceptional comfort
- High performance Motor with a Linear Drive: This Panasonic shaver is equipped with a linear motor which delivers 14,000 cuts per minute (70,000 crosscutting actions per minute) and maintains peak power up to the end of every battery charge
- LCD Battery Indicator: The shaver's 10 stage LCD shows battery status at a glance; Rechargeable, portable and travel friendly
This shaver can be found for a lower price compared to its competitors as it is found at $$.
Ease of Use:
The Panasonic Electric Shaver and Trimmer for Men is an easy-to-use option for facial hair. It is an oscillating razor, so it moves its blades in a circular motion for a clean cut.
It also runs at a very high speed, making it suitable for men who grow coarse facial hair. This makes it easier to use as it may not have to be used over and over for the same area multiple times for men who have coarse hair. This shaver is also a wet/dry shaver. Because of this, it is easy to use on a dry face but also gives the option of using it wetted down with shaving cream.
It comes with many extras and accessories for different jobs and for the care of the razor itself, creating ease in not only shaving but also taking care of the razor. Its charging station doubles as a cleaning station for easy cleaning of the shaver itself.
This shaver comes with a convenient LED display that tells the user the exact amount of time remaining until its battery runs out. This feature along with the charging station doubling as a cleaning station gives the shaver’s battery a great system.
One drawback of the Panasonic Electric Shaver and Trimmer for Men is its design. It has a large head, making it difficult to use for hard to reach areas or intricate facial hair designs.
The warranty for this product is a two-year limited warranty. The length of the warranty is good, but it only covers manufacturer defects and not limitations caused by daily correct use. This takes away from one of the main things customers look to when searching for a great warranty.
Remington F5-5800 Foil Shaver
- Intercept Shaving Technology Pre trims longer hairs
- Pivot and Flex Foil Technology Stays close to skin for smooth results
- Rechargeable Battery 60 minutes of cordless runtime
- Pop up Detail Trimmer For finishing touches on your facial hair and sideburns
- Easy to Clean Washable under the faucet; Charging time 2 hours
This shaver is a very affordable option and can be found for around $. It is much cheaper than its competition.
Ease of Use:
The Remington F5-5800 Foil Shaver is easy to use while considering its low price. It has a contoured handle, providing easy grip and two blades, which are easier to shave with than if it only had one blade. It has a small enough size that it is able to be used for shaving hard to reach areas.
One thing that takes away from its ease of use is that it can only be used on a dry face. It cannot get wet and cannot be used with shaving gel or cream. This takes away an option many men turn to daily.
The battery may not last as long in this small razor, but it does provide a convenient LED display to show how much battery life remains. The shorter battery life may be alright since it is clear when it will run out of battery life.
The small size, which is capable of reaching difficult areas while shaving, along with the easy to hold contoured handle make the design of this shaver stand out.
The Remington F5-5800 Foil Shaver comes with a limited warranty. The customer support team at Remington can be reached through a phone number or online contact form. They also have an area to register products in case they need to contact customers about the shavers.
After looking at these competitors as options for an electric shaver, it is clear that the Braun Series 5 still stands out as a top choice. Its middle ground price keeps it as an option for many men, and its significant features and options make it seem like the winning choice.
The Braun Series 5 is easy to use with its foil based cutting system. It has the ability the move in many ways and directions to provide a smooth shave along the contours of the face. It is gentle and smooth enough to use as a daily shave option comfortably and works to prevent nicks and razor burn. Its trimmer can be used in hard to reach areas and for intricate designs.
Its battery is long lasting and its battery life is clearly indicated with light bars and even a blinking reminder. Its charging station is convenient and doubles as a way to keep the shaver clean. With all of these features, the Braun Series 5 shows itself to be a solid choice at a middle ground price. It has the features of a high end, high priced shaver for a better deal. We give it five out of five stars.